Thursday, December 21, 2006

College: Worth the Hassle and Expense?

College is worth it, without a doubt.

When I got out of high school, I thought I knew it all. I didn't think I needed college, and I didn't want to pay the high rates of tuition. The exorbitant cost of going to college was something I didn't want to contribute to because I thought it was outrageous and unfair. I'd rather be a self-made man... or so I thought.

I ended up giving college a try at my parents' insistence. I can tell you that you won't know how valuable college is until you go. It's hard to imagine that you'll change all that much by spending four years at college, but you do change. And the change is immense.

You become more independent, more comfortable and eloquent socially, more driven to succeed, and you have a better idea of where you're going in life. But there are other benefits, too.

Do not deprive yourself of the friends you'll make at college! It's difficult to imagine better friends than the ones you already have, but you will make some of the best friends of your life in the dorms and classes on a college campus. And don't forget, many people even meet their future spouses at school!

Lastly, there are the economic benefits. A college degree is a right of passage in today's society, and it's your key to higher pay and a job you'll really love. Go to college and open doors that you never thought were possible. Make the investment and see what the world has in store for you!

No comments: